At eBay, we stand against racism, bigotry, xenophobia and bias in all its forms. We support justice, equality, tolerance, and unity. As part of this, we maintain strict policies against hate and discrimination and we remove offensive items that dehumanize, marginalize, incite violence or are otherwise demeaning or racist. As we strive for a safe, trusted and inclusive environment for our global community of buyers and sellers, we must evaluate the items that are listed and whether our policies apply, and when they may need to be updated as we learn new information.
We seek to promote positive social change through our actions, recognizing the complexities and nuances of social and political issues and aim to be inclusive of our worldwide community through our policies and their enforcement. Policy changes must consider a broad and conflicting set of points of view. The policy manager must consider opposing viewpoints and raise counter points of view, to ensure all perspectives are considered and accounted for in the solutions.
This policy manager is proactive to recognize and react to social issues and political trends related to different cultures, ethnicities, colors, religions, genders and sexual orientations. The focus of the role is to identify items that represent or perpetuate hate, intolerance or division, develop detection and enforcement strategies in an effort to promote trust and respect among our diverse community, and oppose racism, bigotry, xenophobia and bias, whether blatant or implicit
The Policy Manager will engage directly with eBay’s senior leadership, and partner closely with the Legal and Corp Comms teams, collaborate with eBay employees and Communities of Inclusion, and coordinate with business contacts to drive positive impact to the customer experience metrics. They will work globally with product management and policy operations to implement new solutions, and to optimize existing solutions. They will evaluate in-house and third-party solutions, including the development and interpretation of control plans.
The policy manager will engage with eBay buyers and sellers via research initiatives and one-on-one interactions.
The role reports into the Sr. Manager, Prohibited & Restricted Items Policy. The position will be based in our Salt Lake City, Utah location. Regular domestic and occasional international business travel is required.
- Recognizes social trends related to different cultures, ethnicities, colors, religions, genders and sexual orientations
- Uses analytical insights to find prohibited items and to understand enforcement of existing policies
- Deliver results against business metrics that measure policy effectiveness and efficiency
- Handle complexity from the long tail of items available for sale, how this changes when new products are released, how this varies in the geographies eBay operates, how it is affected by the complex and changing regulatory landscape and how to keep pace with evolving technology
- Understand customer needs, motivations and wants to make business decisions that consider the overall end to end customer experience and sellers’ business models
- Evaluate and make tradeoffs to balance progress towards business goals with program costs such as customer support staffing, product resources and financial budgets
- Outstanding communication skills – oral and written, including ability to deliver compelling presentations to internal and external groups
- Seven or more years of experience, preferably in ecommerce, in the areas of policy, program management and/or strategy development
- Analytic and strategy development skills including expert Excel (pivot tables, advance functions, statistics) and PowerPoint skills; Superior skills in SQL coding and database query (e.g., SQL) and understanding of data warehouse architecture are required
- Understanding of the ecommerce landscape and functional understanding of the eBay marketplace
- A willingness to challenge existing approaches and ability to drive positive culture changes
- Practiced at solutions design with an ability to think holistically about the impact that any changes will have on both eBay’s buyers and sellers
- Ability to evangelize ideas, influence key partners and collaborate effectively, with experience leading cross-functional teams
- Ability to build credibility with partners
- Outstanding personal initiative, a “can-do” spirit
- Highest degree of personal integrity
- BS/BA degree in related field required; Masters or MBA degree preferred
- Degrees in business or analytics preferred
- Work experience in consulting, strategy development, or analytics preferred
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/. #LI-KA1
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected] We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: EEO is the Law Poster and EEO is the Law Poster Supplement