For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Gilead has a great opportunity to for a seasoned industry leader to manage a contracts team as Associate Director, R&D Clinical Contracts ISR/Collaborative Agreements within Gilead's Development Business Operations department. This position is located at Gilead Sciences’ Corporate Headquarters in Foster City – San Francisco Bay Area, California.
Ideal candidate will have the ability to manage and develop multiple direct reports on a high-performing team, including peer managers, in order to maximize their capability and further their development while maximizing their contributions and value toward operational delivery. The candidate will also work collaboratively within a matrix environment with other cross-functional groups to proactively foster and ensure continuous improvement and operational excellence.
This position will be accountable for drafting, negotiating, and reviewing complex global investigator-sponsored research contracts, collaborative research contracts, and related ancillary contracts (collectively, “ISR/CO” contracts), including both language and budgets, supervising, coaching, and evaluating staff within the ISR/CO contracting functional area, as well as managing one or more Functional Service Providers (FSPs) performing assigned contracting activities. Will require oversight of contracts for multiple ISR/CO programs within Gilead Medical Affairs and Clinical Research departments, ensuring adequate level of staff to complete contracts in an accurate, consistent, and timely manner. Must coordinate with Gilead Clinical Operations, Medical Affairs, Clinical Research, Pharmacovigilance, Legal and/or Business Conduct departments to manage and complete the ISR/CO contracting process throughout the duration of research. Responds and resolves complex issues associated with both domestic and international contracting with support from more senior staff and Gilead Legal department. Ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, especially senior Development Operations management.
- Manages the day-to-day activities of multiple areas in complex clinical contracts and finance processes.
- Develops strategy for, and provides oversight of, activities necessary for the development and execution of ISR/CO contracts for non-Gilead sponsored research.
- Focuses on ISR/CO contracting, fair market value (FMV) compliance of ISR/CO contracts, and financial accountability as it relates to FSP management.
- Participates in establishing departmental and cross-functional policies and procedures and job aides and tracking tools.
- Manages contracting activities for multiple research projects conducted by third parties with support from Gilead, ensuring that there is adequate staff with the skills to complete contracts accurately, consistently, and in a timely manner.
- Provides information to Senior Management on contracting, fair market value (FMV), and finance issues.
- Trains staff in contract budgeting, development, and administration.
- Manages vendor relationship with FSP in conjunction with Vendor Relationship Management function.
- With the support of internal customers and Gilead Legal department, manages the contracting negotiation process, especially in more complex, or high value contracts.
- Leads contracting life cycle management process related to ISR/CO contracts.
- Demonstrates excellent analytical, verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrates an understanding of regulatory and legal issues pertinent to ISR/CO compliance and contracting.
- Demonstrates ability to interact on an advanced level with Gilead Medical Affairs and Clinical Research teams, FSP, Clinical Pricing, and Clinical Payments team to provide oversight of associated budgets and related contractual terms.
- Completes tasks and projects under minimal supervision.
- Evaluates identifies business and/or legal risks in order to manage the issue to resolution by providing alternative solutions to Gilead Legal or senior management.
- Demonstrates leadership skills while working in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Travel may be required.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- 10 years of experience with a BA in a relevant discipline
- 8 years of experience with a MS in a relevant discipline
- Relevant experience typically includes contract language and budget negotiation, and application of project management principles
- 6 years of experience managing a team of 3 or more
- MBA or JD preferred
- PMP or CPSM certification a plus
- Competent in computer skills (Microsoft Office including Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Experience with implementing a contract management system a plus
- Global ISR/CO contracting experience a plus
- Advanced knowledge of financial terms and budgeting
- Development of End User Documentation Tools a plus
- Skilled at development and delivering staff training
For jobs in the United
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.