For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide. Headquartered in Foster City, California, Gilead has operations in North America, Europe and Australia. We are committed to transforming the promise of science and technology into therapies that can make a meaningful different in patients’ lives. We are focused on advancing treatments for – and potentially curing – some of the world’s most difficult and complex illnesses and bringing these scientific innovations to people in need. A focus on areas of high unmet needs, including: HIV, HBV, HCV, Oncology, and Inflammatory diseases.
Regional Sales Director
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. We strive to transform and simplify care for people with life-threatening illnesses around the world. Gilead's portfolio of products and pipeline of investigational drugs includes treatments for HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer, inflammatory and respiratory conditions. Gilead was founded in 1987 in Foster City, California. Since then, we have grown to become one of the world’s largest biopharmaceutical companies, with 10,000 employees across six continents, and business locations in 38 countries.
The Regional Director, Sales manages and provides leadership for regional sales personnel to achieve and/or exceed sales and earnings for Gilead and is also responsible for developing core competencies of the sales team. Responsible for providing both strategic and tactical direction for the region, while maintaining a positive and motivational work environment.
Reporting to the Executive Regional Director Sales, responsibilities include:
- Exhibiting a standard of excellence in the assigned region, (both as a leader, and within the organization).
- Exercising judgment, integrity, and equitable management practices necessary to guide the day-to-day activities of a diverse cross-section of individuals.
- Maintaining an exemplary ethical standard for behavior and communication. Has a track record of excellence, teamwork, and inclusion. Has high personal accountability and shared accountability.
- Developing and maintaining solid customer relationships with key executives, decision-influencers and decision-makers at major centers, clinics and other accounts.
- Tracking and reinforcing measures of sales force effectiveness (i.e., adherence to strategy, tactical implementation, program planning proper use of funds, reach and frequency on targets, etc.) at the regional level in order to meet corporate sales objectives.
- Providing counseling and coaching to sales team, responsible for optimizing selling skills, developing expert product and disease state knowledge, customer focus, while maximizing time and resource allocation management.
- Partnering with Talent Acquisition to recruit, hire and lead a team of specialists within the Gilead Sales organization. Works with team to create learning plans, recommends training and development solutions, and provides coaching, as appropriate.
- Has a consistent track record of managing, mentoring, and developing high-performing sales teams.
- Serves as communication liaison between home office and region to include the proactive identification and resolution of issues, opportunities and competitive activities to appropriate members of marketing and/or sales management.
- Clearly defines roles, responsibilities and measurable outcomes for all activities of specialist team. Regularly measures success, documents and provides feedback on performance.
- Takes a lead role in representing Gilead Sciences, at professional events and promoting company products at such events.
- Utilizes high level of discernment if/when analyzing and coordinating activities, based on industry trending, resources and standard methodologies.
- Utilizes superlative project management skills to lead cross-functional projects with broad organizational impact.
- Ensures strict compliance, both in own behavior and behavior of sales team, with Gilead commercial compliance policy, and all applicable federal and state laws and guidance relating to product promotion and information dissemination including, but not limited to, the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the Food and Drug Administration’s implementing regulations, the Federal Anti-Kickback Statute, the False Claims Act, PhRMA, Corporate Code of Business Conduct and the Office of the Inspector General’s Compliance Program Guidance for Pharmaceutical Manufacturers.
- Proven to be successful in all respects of selling, i.e. technical knowledge, sales techniques, interpreting/analyzing data, and has an in-depth understanding of the medical field and biopharmaceutical industry.
- Meets (or exceeds) sales goals for the assigned region / team.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively share business trajectory (and vision) with the regional sales team.
- Analyses, understands, and presents scientific/technical details, by bringing to bear a thorough understanding of pharmaceutical marketing and sales regulations, guidelines, and policies.
- Demonstrates outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills, as well as the ability to influence and negotiate effectively.
- Understands and provides guidance pertaining to HR management concerns, with the ability to grasp nuanced and complex people management responsibilities.
- Demonstrates an ability to manage large projects, and work within cross-functional teams. Adheres to operational excellence practices for administrative tasks.
- Has proven experience in leading a successful product launch and/or product turnaround.
- Is viewed by managers and peers as an authority on industry trends, and product and disease state knowledge, including the pros and cons (overall goals of plan, cost vs. efficacy, dosing, duration, etc.) of a product protocol.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Typical candidates will possess a BA or BS degree, preferably in life sciences or business administration.
- 14+ years of proven commercial experience within the pharmaceutical or healthcare industry (preferably in specialty pharmaceuticals) - including 4 years of pharmaceutical sales management experience.
- Achievement of any mandatory country-specific pharmaceutical sales certifications is essential.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.