Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted
virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and
months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure
the health and safety of our teams.
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.Job Description
Overview and key accountabilities:
The Director Medical Affairs Oncology (Breast Cancer) leads and manages the Medical Affairs team for breast cancer, which focuses on the introduction of a new targeted treatment that will start out in the area of triple-negative breast cancer. This involves direct managerial responsibility for a team assigned to this Therapeutic Area (TA). Besides breast cancer the TA may in the future expand into other solid tumour types.
The Director Medical Affairs Oncology (Breast Cancer) leads the development and implementation of the Medical Therapeutic Area strategy and the Medical product strategy. This requires close national and international collaboration with internal colleagues. The Director Medical Affairs Oncology (Breast Cancer) also contributes to the cross-functional leadership in the assigned Therapeutic Area and to the leadership of the Medical Affairs Department. He/she represents Gilead Spain to internal and external stakeholders.
The role is office-based in Madrid and requires national and international travel (including for internal meetings and external scientific conferences). The position reports to the Country Medical Director.
The Director Medical Affairs Oncology (Breast Cancer) provides vision and direction to the assigned Medical Affairs team
· Leads and manages the team of Medical Affairs professionals assigned to this TA
· Provides clear strategic guidance for the development and execution of the TA strategy, the medical Plans of Action (POAs) and cross-functional projects, including programs that involve non-traditional stakeholders
· Ensures continuous development and training of the team and individual team members based on Gilead´s Competency Models and Leadership Commitments; acts as a coach and mentor for team members
· Sets clear performance expectations that are aligned with company and department goals; monitors progress and delivers fair and effective performance reviews
· Plans and monitors the departmental budget
· Leads hiring of the team and ensures excellent onboarding of new team members
· Participates in the exchange with the medical community and maintains a thought leader network
The Director Medical Affairs Oncology (Breast Cancer) is involved the development and execution of the cross-functional product and TA strategy:
· Contributes to the development of the Market Access strategy in coordination with Market Access, Regulatory Affairs, Country Medical Director, and General Manager; delivers the medical part of the plan
· Contributes to the cross-functional TA leadership and provides strategic input into the TA strategy and Business Plans of Action (BPOAs)
· Contributes to the development of European and global medical POAs
· Collaborates effectively and in a compliant manner with colleagues in other functional areas, e.g. Clinical Research, Sales and Marketing, Market Access, PVE
The Director Medical Affairs Oncology (Breast Cancer) has additional internal and external
· Contributes to the overall country Medical Affairs strategy and is a member of the country Medical Leadership Team (MLT)
· Stays up to date with Medical Affairs management approaches in the industry and applies them to the Gilead team where appropriate
· Stays up to date with medical and scientific developments in the field and applies them internally
· Provides local medical expert input into global product development
· Leads and/or contributes to organisational projects at the national, international, and departmental level
· Represents Gilead Spain to external and internal stakeholders, including groups of experts, medical professional groups, societies, regulatory groups and at national and international scientific meetings
Required Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
· Advanced scientific degree (e.g. MD, PharmD, PhD)
· Advanced clinical and/or scientific knowledge in solid tumour oncology, preferably breast cancer
· At least 6 years pharmaceutical company experience with a minimum of 4 years within Medical Affairs
· Significant people management experience
· Ability to embrace Gilead’s patient-centric values and leadership commitments, including highest ethical and compliance standards
· Strategic mindset with a focus on collaboration and excellence
· Excellent organisational skills including attention to detail and prioritisation
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Spanish and English
· Works independently with minimal supervision
· Experience of working in an international environment
Gilead Core Values
· Integrity (always doing the right thing)
· Teamwork (collaborating in good faith)
· Excellence (working at a high level of commitment and capability)
· Accountability (taking personal responsibility)
· Inclusion (encouraging diversity)
It is the policy of Gilead Sciences, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively "Gilead" or the "Company") to recruit select and employ the most qualified persons available for positions throughout the Company. Except if otherwise provided by applicable law, all employment actions relating to issues such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, returns from layoffs, company-sponsored training, education assistance, social and recreational programs are administered on a non-discriminatory basis (i.e. without regard to protected characteristics or prohibited grounds, which may include an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, veteran status, and age, unless such protection is prohibited by federal, state, municipal, provincial, local or other applicable laws). Gilead also prohibits discrimination based on any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.