Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted
virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and
months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure
the health and safety of our teams.
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.Job Description
Senior Director, Medical Sciences, USMA Oncology- Remote Field Based (West Region)
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join us as Senior Director, Medical Sciences. The
Senior Director will lead a regional team of field-based Medical Scientists (MSs) who serve as
the medical scientific face of Gilead with thought leaders and healthcare professionals, to
facilitate the scientific exchange of data and information on relevant disease states and
Gilead’s therapies and research and scientific platforms. Successful candidates will be
experienced, well-organized, results-oriented healthcare professionals
with a proven track record of success in hematology and/or oncology.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide strong leadership to motivate team and individual team members to achieve excellent results.
- Manage and professionally develop MSs within the region including hiring, field training, evaluation, and coaching and mentoring team members.
- Ensure that all interactions and activities in the region adhere to corporate and healthcare compliance guidance, including those related to clinical trials, scientific interactions with internal and external groups, and responses to unsolicited requests for medical/scientific information.
- Provide disciplinary activities in alignment with the company’s corporate strategies and objectives.
- Maintain clinical, scientific, and technical expertise in hematology/oncology.
- Represent the company and USMA during exchanges with the medical/scientific community.
- Coordinate within USMA to appropriately deploy MSs in the region to respond to unsolicited requests while managing regional capacity.
- Guide and assist the MSs in the coordination of opinion leader and healthcare professional interactions within and across the region, and with internal stakeholders.
- Partner with the head of the USMA Oncology organization to provide support for developing the USMA regional strategy and POA, and develop and execute the related MS strategy and POA.
- Interpret and translate national strategies and POAs into regional POAs, including the development and execution of a regional opinion leader development strategy, and provide guidance and assistance to MSs in developing and executing opinion leader strategies in their individual territories.
- Clearly communicate the national, regional, and territory plans, objectives, and POA; define, clarify and manage the regional team priorities; actively support the regional team and team efforts by being the team advocate and spokesperson; promote collaboration across the entire MS team, within USMA, cross-functionally, and with internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent the MS function on USMA and cross-functional teams, as requested.
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, DO, PhD or PharmD) with experience in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical or related healthcare field, specifically in the area of hematology/oncology, is required.
- A minimum of 5 years previous experience as an MS is required, and field management/supervisory experience is preferred.
- Leadership skills (proactive, strategic, creates a highly accountable team culture, provides clear direction) with the ability to evaluate competing priorities to arrive at an appropriate decision, must be demonstrated
- Collaborative, team-based approach; ability to network and partner with internal and external stakeholders, including medical thought-leaders and a wide range of healthcare professionals.
- Additional required abilities:
- Develop and deliver high-quality presentations
- Liaise and coordinate activity between the field, the USMA Oncology Lead, and the headquarters team
- Work as a member of several teams that may overlap such as Medical Affairs, national accounts, clinical development, managed markets, commercial and marketing, and others
- Understand and apply regulatory requirements for field-based personnel and PhRMA guidelines, including geographic regulatory related guidelines
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple priorities and resources
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal skills required.
- Translate scientific and clinical data and territory/regional information to various groups to achieve the identified business goals of the company.
- Travel within the US a minimum of 60% of the time, occasionally with short notice.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact [email protected] for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.