For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Summary of Role and Qualifications
Gilead is seeking to recruit a Senior Vice President, Corporate Development, with a proven track record in the identification and execution of high value transactions in the health care space, preferably life sciences. He/she will be responsible for leading and executing all corporate development initiatives, including the sourcing, evaluation, and negotiation of in-licensing, M&A, out-licensing, and divestiture transactions. He/she will plan and partner with all relevant internal and external stakeholders, ensuring that corporate development activities and priorities are aligned with company strategy.
Based in Foster City, California and reporting in to the Chief Financial Officer, the position is part of the Corporate Development & Strategy leadership team and will sit on the CFO Organization Leadership Team. The Executive will be responsible for managing a team of professionals in the areas of Business Development & Licensing, and M&A.The role will also include oversight of the company’s Alliance Management organization. The SVP will work collaboratively with functional leaders in R&D, Commercial, Medical Affairs, Finance, Corporate Affairs and Legal and external resources.
The SVP will have access to resources to pursue high priority opportunities. Success in this role is vital to the continued growth and success of the company, which makes this a highly compelling opportunity for an experienced executive with excellent business acumen and an appetite for significant transaction activity. This is a high value role for Gilead and the company seeks to attract a proven performer with strong leadership succession potential.
Lead a team of Corporate Development professionals to:
Drive the identification and assessment of potential business opportunities utilizing market research, business intelligence, competitive and scientific analysis.
Deliver robust business, financial, scientific and strategic analyses that inform business decisions
Lead the development and negotiation of outside commercial partnerships, alliances, joint ventures, and licensing agreements as well as M&A transactions
Coordinate due diligence across multiple functional areas, including research, clinical, regulatory, manufacturing, finance, intellectual property, and legal
Responsibilities may expand depending on the candidate’s specific qualifications
Knowledge and Experience
- An MD and/or a PhD in a related field of Life Sciences is preferable; an MBA and/or JD is desirable but not required.
- He/she will have at least 15 years of successful professional experience and is likely a senior leader of corporate/ business development in a global, commercial pharmaceutical, specialty pharmaceutical, or Biotechnology Company or a senior strategic advisor at a global investment bank or strategic advisory firm.
- The ideal candidate will be well rounded and have diverse experience in the biopharmaceutical industry, including expertise in strategic advisory work, deal structuring, financial and transaction analysis and negotiations. Substantial experience in academic medicine and/or research, accounting, finance, healthcare investment banking, strategy consulting and/or tax is desired..
- The ideal candidate will possess the financial, strategic and scientific insight, commercial acumen and broad market perspective to lead corporate development and contribute to strategic planning.
- Possesses robust experience identifying, managing and successfully closing transactions. Has led and supported numerous merger, acquisition, in-licensing, out-licensing, strategic collaboration and co-promotion transactions. Has an innovation mindset and the proven ability to manage a large portfolio of transactions
- Experience building and managing cross-functional teams and working collaboratively, cross-functionally and globally with R&D, Commercial, Legal and Finance, etc.
- Experience developing corporate development function
- Biopharmaceutical experience and technical knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of the biopharmaceutical industry, both large and small companies, is critical for success. Knows the science, clinical practices, market dynamics, competitive products, competitive selling strategies, etc., in domestic and international markets. Possesses a strong scientific understanding of products. Understands the importance of strong intellectual property. Possesses depth in several therapeutic areas. Able to apply scientific and market knowledge to assess a product’s strategic fit, clinical viability and commercial value.
- Broad network: Business and corporate development contacts; Ability to reach key executives in companies that are likely prospects for joint ventures or other collaborations.
- Is known throughout the biopharma industry as an excellent transactions partner and is viewed a collaborative leader, thought partner and “closer.”
Skills and Behaviors
- Leadership: A confident, mature person with the ability to connect and inspire others. A proven track record of leading projects and teams that successfully achieve milestones and complete deliverables.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills – the ability to influence and work successfully with varied audiences (colleagues, scientific and technical leaders, financial institutions, pharmaceutical and business partners, collaborators, customers, and senior executives)
- A strong scientific orientation – in-depth understanding of the science behind the deals, including the drug discovery and development process
- Leadership and management skills along with the ability to work both in a strategic mode, as well as “rolling up ones sleeves” and working in detail
- Energetic self-starter with results orientation and ability to work effectively in a driven environment. Can gain the trust and respect of the Executive Team
- A resourceful, strategic and analytical thinker and creative problem solver who can help shape the future strategy of the business
- Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills: A team player and builder, receptive to ideas from others. Shares information readily, openly and effectively and keeps team members and partners timely informed. Works effectively with others to identify and resolve issues. Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to interact successfully with all levels of management as well as a diverse work force.
- Demonstrate uncompromising integrity
- Global mind-set and cultural fluency (i.e., not US-centric in thinking or experience – has global connections)
- Must develop extensive knowledge of key antiviral disease areas and/or new therapeutic areas of interest to Gilead
- Demonstrated passion for employee engagement and development.
- Resilient profile with the ability to deliver in an ambiguous environment.
- Curious with learning agility.
- Values cultural diversity and fosters an inclusive work environment
- Exceptional conceptual and analytical skills, including strong understanding of relevant commercial and scientific issues
- Adept at using advanced analytical techniques, tools and financial models; strong valuation skills. Solid understanding of finance and accounting
- Able to assess and translate significant quantities of data into information and discern key findings.
- Outstanding ability to quickly synthesize, develop, package and communicate concise, logical, fact-based presentations, and make well-founded recommendations to senior management.
Gilead Core Values
Integrity (doing what’s right).
Inclusion (encouraging diversity)
Teamwork (working together).
Excellence (being your best).
Accountability (taking personal responsibility).
For jobs in the United
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.