A rare and exciting opportunity for a very well-organised and motivated individual has arisen within the Company Secretarial and Legal team.
The Assistant Company Secretary will support the Group Company Secretary and Deputy Company Secretary in providing the full range of company secretarial & governance services to the Group. This role will focus on the ongoing management of the Group’s UK subsidiary companies (including regulated companies), providing advice to Directors, meeting support, drafting minutes and ensuring statutory records are maintained.
You will proactively look to emerging best practice to deliver high quality support, actively managing the expectations of senior leaders and communicating with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. You will also provide ad –hoc support for the Group Company Secretary and Deputy Company Secretary in respect of listed company secretarial work.
Key duties and responsibilities:
The role holder will support the wider team in delivering a full company secretarial & governance service to the Group, including subsidiaries. This will include:
- Maintaining UK statutory company records, making filings to Companies House ensuring all information held is correct and filings are made in a timely manner–this will require an excellent understanding of current legal requirements and also the ability to horizon scan for impending changes and proactively looking for efficient ways to implement any changes, responding to change positively and constructively
- Maintaining Company Secretariat records using both physical and electronic filing systems
- Preparing minutes of subsidiary company board and committee meetings to a consistently high quality as required
- Assisting with the collation, production and distribution of board and committee papers in both electronic and paper form– looking for ways in which to proactively improve the service offered by the Secretariat team to provide a best in class service to its stakeholders
- Primary involvement with the production, approval and filing of the subsidiary company Annual Report and Accounts
The role holder will also have the opportunity to be involved in work covered by the wider team which includes:
- Supporting the plc Board, Executive Committee and sub-Committees
- Releasing Regulatory News Service (RNS) announcements to the market
- Maintaining Secretariat data held on the Group’s intranet, website and shared drives
- Assisting with the maintenance of Insider Lists in compliance with Market Abuse Regulation (MAR), as directed by the Group Company Secretary
- Assisting with the organisation of the Group’s Annual General Meeting (AGM)
Essential skills and experience:
- ICSA qualified or part qualified, (but ideally ACIS)
- Experience of managing subsidiaries
- Knowledge of Companies Act, UK Listing Rules and UK Corporate Governance Code and working with Companies House and the Financial Conduct Authority
- Experience of working in financial services, or another regulated industry
- Excellent IT, written and verbal communication skills – with the ability to adapt to situations and individual’s preferences
- Experience of supporting Committees / Boards and taking minutes
- Ability to work in a team or alone and effectively collaborating throughout the business, plus the ability to self-manage competing workloads & effectively prioritise
- Problem solving skills – with the ability to use own experience to develop innovative solutions and resolve complex issues
- Regularly looking to continually improve own, and wider team’s performance actively promoting change and continuous improvement.
- A willingness to learn as well as contribute – be able to provide constructively challenge and be open to challenge – responding positively
- Proactive and positive, looking for how to develop team and self – actively seeking out how to add value