Mercer is looking for talented and ambitious pensions actuaries who are keen to further their career, focused on consulting with clients. This is an opportunity to join a great multi-disciplinary team providing clients with leading edge advice across funding, investment, risk transfer and covenant. We are looking for individuals with excellent communication skills, adaptability, business acumen and a desire to be in front of clients, all underpinned by the required technical skills.
You will be working as part of a team to develop and deliver customised advice and solutions to clients (trustee and corporates) with a primary focus on DB pension schemes. The world of retirement saving is changing and Mercer is developing innovative solutions for our clients and their employees, whether around interactive and personalised communications, or delivering robo advice.
This is an opportunity to work on a wide range of clients, direct with Scheme Actuaries and other specialists, and on a range of client teams. We tailor the client mix to support and develop an individual"EURTMs skills now and into the future.
The majority of the base number crunching is carried out by specialist teams, which allows the consulting team to focus on solving our clients"EURTM needs and adding value by developing innovative client solutions. We are looking for individuals who can bring that focus alongside an ability to think strategically, and who can provide advice to clients in a clear and concise manner.
This role would be suitable for someone (close to or recently qualified) who already has experience working with trustees and/or corporates on DB pensions within an actuarial consultancy role. Mercer provides full-study support for those undertaking the actuarial exams.
Why is Mercer different?
Besides working for one of the world"EURTMs largest consultancy firms, you will be given opportunities to excel and grow in a high performing team of actuaries and consultants. The team is structured so that you are given opportunities to deliver advice and consult with a range of clients. You will be supported through real situations to continue to expand both your actuarial and consulting skills, and to choose your own career path.
As our pension and investment consultants work together as part of one Wealth team, we can provide you with an abundance of career enhancing opportunities. Where individuals wish (and subject to prior experiences), they are able to work on both actuarial and investment clients. You will also have opportunities to work on member options and risk transfer projects, or to specialise in different areas as your career develops.
Beyond this, Mercer provides the potential for opportunities in other lines of business, or via our Global & International rotation program.
What is the role?
- Leading on the preparation and delivery of both day-to-day, and strategic advice, with a focus on finding tailored solutions that meet clients"EURTM needs; with senior support as required.
- Providing an informed view on current topics based on client circumstances, and tailoring advice as appropriate.
- Strong technical actuarial skills used to consult with clients, and the ability to communicate with clients in a clear and succinct manner.
- Checking and reviewing work, including reasonableness and "EUR~sense checking"EURTM of colleagues"EURTM (and your own) work.
- Supporting the development of more junior colleagues.
- Taking part in setting and negotiating fees, where appropriate, with senior colleagues.
- The opportunity to be involved in both new business prospect activity and people management responsibilities.
Skills and Experience
- An awareness of current pension issues and how these impact clients, including key considerations and ability to talk about these and tailor your response to specific circumstances.
- Excellent communication skills, strong analytical, numerical and critical thinking skills, including a good understanding of actuarial approaches for pensions.
- A strong understanding of a range of ways in which UK pension schemes operate.
- A willingness to learn new skills and be adaptable in a changing environment.
- Proven ability to build relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Excellent planning and organisational abilities, in order to prioritise and complete work.
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We"EURTMre in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees "EUR" whether we"EURTMre designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people"EURTMs current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we"EURTMve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer.
At Mercer we are open to flexible and part time working arrangements for new hires. The aim of our flexible working policy is to enable employees to balance work and home life more effectively, whilst meeting the needs of our business. This is another step towards us being an employer of choice. We encourage you to discuss your requirements with us when you apply for a role.