Microsoft Cloud Operations + Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services and our team is focused on delivering high quality infrastructure to support cloud operations. As Microsoft’s Cloud business continues to mature, our infrastructure expansion accelerates, and datacenters are central to this growth. To support this, the acquisition and development of our owned, designed and constructed Data Center facilities will scale to meet the demands of our customers, while we also continue to lease and acquire datacenter capacity, working closely with datacenter operators in each region, developing and owning partnerships for growth.
The EMEA Leasing team is responsible for delivering datacenter space in the EMEA market to support our Cloud growth in both existing and new geographies, as needed by the wider business. As we grow rapidly in both new and existing markets, we will develop a clear datacenter business strategy, which usually aligns with both land acquisition and leasing opportunities, and the execution of these deliveries is critical to ensure on time delivery of datacenter space to bring the Cloud to market on time. The team is made up of two groups:
The site acquisition team is a regional real estate and acquisition group responsible for leasing and acquiring datacenter capacity, real estate, utilities and datacenter related infrastructure, primarily in EMEA, working closely with datacenter operators in each region, developing and owning partnerships for growth.
The role of Leasing Program Manager will be a unique role aligning the two teams together, working to support the General Manager of Land & Lease Acquisition, to deliver the strategic direction and management of the region. The role will provide support to all acquisition managers, both land and lease, by helping them with leasing and purchasing opportunities, contract amendments, completion of post lease/contract paperwork and ownership of contract expansions in stabilised markets.
Additional responsibilities include performing analytics and conducting market research on targeted metros and regions, new countries, metros, and target locations. The role will support the team with strong analytical reporting on market strategies, outlining risks on delivery (cost and timelines) and supporting the team with day to day activities as needed. In addition, the role will manage or support new colocation leases and extensions as well as lease renewals. This role will work closely with our regional demand planning, engineering, construction, security, networking, energy, and operations teams as well as with various global teams and leaders.
- Cross functional support across the lease acquisition teams to ensure overall strategies are aligned with our land teams and others
- Management of post contract completion – follow up on legal contracts and ensuring all legal obligations are adhered to (e.g. stamp duties etc)
- Collaborate with internal business units and stakeholders to ensure primary responsibilities are aligned with group’s strategic directions
- Present Deal Summaries and Lease Abstracts to key decision makers for financial approval
- Work with internal law & corporate affairs personnel to drive preparation of executable lease documents
- 5 + years engaged of site selection and acquisition experience in mission-critical, large scale production or in direct lease contract negotiations for high-tech facilities
- 3+ years working in Datacenter, Manufacturing, or other high-tech industry
- Bachelor's degree in Arts or Sciences or Business or technical discipline
- Strong analytical, creative thinking, written, and verbal communications skills
- Proven ability to apply critical thinking in complex situations
- Experience in leading complex negotiations, contract formation, and contract negotiations
- Confident, takes ownership, willingness to “do what it takes” to get the job done with proven experience leading complex negotiations/initiatives to successful completion
- Proven track record as a Team Lead or a Program Manager
- Must be able to deliver results or projects in a timely manner
- An understanding of datacenter leases is highly desirable
- Willing to travel domestically or internationally as needed
- General understanding of hybrid real estate solutions such as build-to-suit, Retail, and Wholesale datacenter leases
Preferred, not required:
- Experience with corporate communications and public relations strategies
Background in real estate development and land acquisition degree or training (or work as a paralegal)
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.