Role: Lead Sound Designer
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Creative Services Group (CSG) is an award winning centralised internal creative agency within PlayStation Studios. We endeavour to build a working environment where our people flourish and create their best work. Structured around eight core disciplines; Brand Design, UI/UX, Motion, Video, Film, Sound, Music and Programming, we deliver projects in collaboration with our game development, marketing and PR teams.
We are looking for a Lead Sound Designer to join our award-winning team, to craft high quality audio content for 1st party development projects. As part of our team, you will have the opportunity to work with some of the most quality-driven developers in the industry and on some of the most exciting AAA games for PlayStation.
Reporting to the Audio Director, the Lead Sound Designer serves as the project Audio Lead for specific projects within CSG. Balancing creative and technical needs for a project, the Lead Sound Designer defines the audio strategy and acts as a strong leader and vision holder for the team and project. They communicate closely with other departments, project leadership and wider CSG management to ensure all parties are aligned and driving towards a successful, world-class product.
What you'll be doing:
Sound Direction: Working with our development partners, you will help oversee all aspects of a game’s sound, help define the sound vision, help determine the resource needs and coordinate various sound disciplines internally.
- Provide direction/leadership and supervision to the sound design team
- Devise and maintain a project’s sound design aesthetic
- Build sound design schedules and suggest business initiatives that will impact projects and direction
- Ensure creative and technical designs align with project vision and schedule
- Review design and implementation plans and communicate impact to senior development partners
Sound Design: You will craft exceptional, pioneering audio content and work with teams to ensure they are equipped with the skills and tools to replicate your sound vision.
- Define and conceptualise sonic aesthetic, creating concept material
- Evangelise and guide audio aesthetic with the sound team
- Craft world-class audio content to be implemented into projects
Implementation: You have a solid understanding of all sound design domains and seek innovative and efficient technology solutions for projects.
- You will help establish implementation techniques and systems for multiple projects across multiple engines/middleware
- Define and carry out work needed for performance optimisation
- Be responsible for sound design implementation quality and for performance optimisation strategies.
Process & Planning: You will help schedule and manage the sound design team on the project.
- Form positive relationships with development partners and serve as main point of contact
- You will assist in goal planning, task estimation, scheduling and creating and maintaining asset lists for the project
- Work with our development partners and the sound team to help create concepts, documentation and identify asset needs
- Collaborate with development partners to solve technical and/or quality issues
Tool & Technical Proficiency: You learn and adapt in an ever-changing environment when it comes to game and sound technologies and share your knowledge with the team.
- You will actively train and mentor the team on tool usage and philosophies, while recommending tool choices and best practices
- Participate in setting and ensuring performance metrics and quality bars
- Partner with our technical and engineering groups to help design tools and methods for next generation sound design production
Recording/Audio Acquisition: You will manage planning for recording sessions, while demonstrating a high level of competency in recording, editing, mastering and asset management.
- Mentor junior team members in techniques and planning
- Collaborate with Dialogue and Music teams where needed to ensure assets being recorded fit the specified requirements and quality standards of projects
- Partner across teams to deliver high quality assets and ensure dedicated support for library management
What we're looking for:
- Minimum 8 years’ experience, or
- Minimum 3 shipped AAA games in sound leadership role
- Minimum one development cycle managing, coaching, and mentoring sound designers
- Strong executive communication and presentation skills
- Proven leadership skills and capabilities
- Fluent in interactive audio and post-production techniques
- Expert command of sound design & mixing techniques, processes and tools
- Multi-specialised; able to create world class audio content spread across multiple aesthetics
- Imaginative use of audio production tools, Foley performance and capture, props and recording techniques to create high quality original content
- Familiar with authoring techniques within commercial middleware (Wwise, FMOD, etc)
- Experience working with game development teams and coordinating with various game departments such as animation, level design, AI, physics, mechanics, etc
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.