The Medical Writer researches, prepares, and coordinates scientific publications. The Medical Writer is responsible for researching, writing, and editing clinical/statistical reports and study protocols, and summarizing data from clinical studies for submission to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Education and Experience:
- BS/BA in a scientific discipline(or licensed certification) with 4 years relevant writing experience or
- Advanced degree with 2 years relevant writing experience
- 2 years relevant experience as a medical writer, preferably within the pharmaceutical industry
- Or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess the ability to manage large projects with minimal supervision
- Must possess the ability to coordinate production of deliverables and provide leadership to a project team
- Must possess independence in decision making and problem solving
- Must demonstrate an ability to serve as a departmental resource for training, mentoring, and the development of process improvements for Medical Writing
- Must possess all requisite skills of the Medical Writer position, including excellent grammatical, editorial, and proofreading skills, and the ability to interpret and present extremely complex data
- Work is performed in an office/ laboratory and/or a clinical environment.
- Exposure to biological fluids with potential exposure to infectious organisms.
- Exposure to electrical office equipment.
Personal protective equipment required such as protective
eyewear, garments and gloves.
- Ability to work in an upright and /or stationary position for 6-8 hours per day.
- Repetitive hand movement of both hands with the ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists.
- Frequent mobility required.
- Occasional crouching, stooping, with frequent bending and twisting of upper body and neck.
- Light to moderate lifting and carrying (or otherwise moves) objects including luggage and laptop computer with a maximum lift of 15-20 lbs.
- Ability to access and use a variety of computer software developed both in-house and off-the-shelf.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand; with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Frequently interacts with others to obtain or relate information to diverse groups.
- Performs a wide range of variable tasks as dictated by variable demands and changing conditions with little predictability as to the occurrence. Ability to perform under stress. Ability to multi-task.
- Regular and consistent attendance.