Envision a workplace where you have a direct impact on improving health, work alongside expert scientists, use newest technologies and collaborate with industry thought leaders and therapeutic experts. Welcome to PPD® Laboratories, where science is our passion, quality is our commitment and people are the cornerstone of our success.
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team. We offer continued career advancement opportunities, award winning training and benefits focused on the health and wellbeing of our employees.
Supervises laboratory unit. Assists in overseeing and supervising daily work activities within the laboratory unit to ensure efficient and effective scientific and administrative operations. Operates, maintains, and repairs clinical laboratory equipment within the scope of training including routine preventive maintenance, calibrations, and safety checks. Oversees and reviews area weekly and monthly Quality Control and maintaining QC database. Set up and validate new assays as assigned by the manager.
• Performs and reports routine and complex laboratory analyses that require advanced evaluation and judgment skills. Uses set protocols and guidelines to evaluate credibility and accuracy of test results and provides data for validation to supervisors and managers. Performs work in an efficient manner by coordinating personnel and testing steps to achieve maximum productivity.
• Ensures that quality control procedures are carried out. Monitors and resolves instrument problems. Implements new technology and instruments for unit according to established protocols.
• Gathers data for quality improvement activities within section and participates in comparison studies of precision, accuracy, and linearity for new or existing assays according to established protocols.
• In conjunction with laboratory senior management, develops new policies and procedures for the unit and writes Standard Operating Procedures.
• Serves in a mentor to team members providing guidance and reviewing and checking work. Trains and assesses the competency of staff in the unit and issues formal evaluations. Recruits, interviews, and hires new staff.
• Regularly interacts with non-laboratory departments to organize workflow, trouble shoot problems, and find resolution in order to meet client expectations.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent and relevant formal academic / vocational qualification
• Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 0 to 5 years).
• 1 year of leadership responsibility
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent critical thinking skills
• Exceptional time management and organizational skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task
• Proven problem solving/troubleshooting abilities
• Demonstrated leadership abilities
• Ability to provide guidance on analytical issues and regulatory requirements
• Ability to adapt to changes in workflow, unusual circumstances, and high pressure and time sensitive environments
• Ability to work well in a collaborative team environment
• Directly supervises individual contributors, administrative support and / or entry-level professionals.
• PPD values the health and wellbeing of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
• Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
• Able to work upright and stationary and/or standing for typical working hours.
• Able to lift and move objects up to 25 pounds
• Able to work in non-traditional work environments.
• Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
• May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements, including infectious agents, typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments.
• Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
PPD Defining Principles:
- We have a strong will to win - We earn our customer’s trust - We are game changers - We do the right thing - We are one PPD
If you resonate with our five principles above, and ultimately wish to accelerate the delivery of safe and effective therapeutics for some of the world’s most urgent health needs, then please submit your application – we’d love to hear from you.