Screens and evaluates cytology specimens to detect cancer and other cellular abnormalities using pap stain and/or immunocytochemistry (ICC) biomarkers for current and new Roche products. Presents and discusses results of experiments within the department and project team. Participates in the development of new methods, evaluates the quality and provides guidance on correct use and interpretation of specimens made from samples. Helps guide product development to obtain the highest possible performance, works with Roche Pathologists, and supports Quality Control (QC) method development for cytology specimens. Maintains a high level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature.
- Performs analytical techniques on specimens that originate from a variety of sources including pap smears, sputum, urine, other body fluids, and fine needle aspirates.
- Qualifies samples for testing.
- Evaluates and provides morphological assessment of Immunocytochemistry (ICC) biomarker for proof of concept, feasibility, verification and validation studies/activities associated with new product development.
- Performs and evaluates cytology techniques like Pap staining and provides input on the project.
- Provides slide scoring across the company as needed.
- Maintains records as needed.
- Provides suggestions to improve work processes.
- Provides root-cause analysis and implements corrective action for reagent or instrument related issues that may arise in sample processing.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biological Sciences or related field.
- Graduation from a CAAHEP (The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs) accredited cytotechnology training program.
- Cytotechnologist (CT) American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certified.
- 3-5 years Cytology screening and evaluating of gynecologic specimens prepared using ThinPrep, SurePath and conventional smear
- Experience evaluating non-gynecologic specimens
- Experience in a laboratory setting
Knowledge, Skill or Ability
- Knowledge of Immunohistochemistry (ICC
- Knowledge of clinical testing methods
- Ability to work constructively and collaboratively with internal as well as external colleagues
- Knowledge of the principles of light microscopy, the operation and maintenance of standard laboratory equipment, and computer skills
- Ability to organize, problem-solve, and analyze data, including the ability to follow written procedures and to document work accurately and thoroughly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and work in a cross functional team environment
- Ability to troubleshoot and make informed accurate assessments
As needed based on business needs
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Research & Development, Research & Development > Research