To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job CategoryProducts and Technology
Senior Manager Engineering, Availability Cloud Engineering
Availability & Big Data (A&BD) is an integral part of the Salesforce Infrastructure
Technology team. A&BD provides products, technologies and solutions that help our users get
real time understanding of service and product health, perform real time monitoring, efficient
troubleshooting and reduce TTD and TTR. This includes instrumenting the applications and systems
to gather relevant metrics, logs and traces to help monitor the health of the system, use
big-data and distributed system technologies to derive insights and machine learning to
proactively forecast issues for preventative actions.
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to drive innovation, empower and motivate a team of seasoned engineers in an agile environment. Your technical aptitude will be used to lead the team to create
enterprise architecture designs, standard documentation, transition, and migration strategies. The team will draw on your past experience leading software engineering efforts, providing leadership direction, overseeing development projects, product definition through authoring engineering plans, epics and user stories, and overall team health and efficiency. Check out our "We are Salesforce Engineering" video.
Within A&BD, Unified Intelligence Platform (UIP) is a modern, secure, highly-enabling platform for analytics on big data at Salesforce. It makes using data at scale easy and enabling, by marrying together cutting-edge technology with an exceptional user experience. Massive amounts of data are generated each day at Salesforce. Crafting a platform that enables internal users to understand, optimize, and re-envision how the business is and should operate is critical. Modern distributed systems (e.g. Spark, Presto, Hadoop), coupled with AI tech (e.g. Tensorflow and Juypter), custom data applications (e.g. a comprehensive data catalog and portal), and secure, reliable, and extensible platform on both data centers and public cloud, are a few of the key ingredients this team is weaving together to make this possible.
We are defining the next generation of trusted enterprise computing in the cloud. We're a fast-paced, agile and innovative team. We're highly collaborative and work across all areas of our technology stack. We enable critical services for the business, qualify complex compute changes, enable big data analytics and trail-blaze new engineering solutions for the cloud.
A successful candidate will be:
- Passionate about leading development teams in the creation of large, modular, and maintainable codebases
- Capable of driving and delivering functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops in an agile environment
- Hands on technical details, experienced in balancing live-site management and feature delivery
- Passionate about engineering productivity, service ownership, and customer trust & customer success
- Excited by building reliable, self-healing services on cloud infrastructure
- Passionate about Continuous Integration and Delivery and driving teams to adopt this delivery model
- Eat, sleep, and breathe services. Experience designing, developing, debugging, and operating resilient distributed systems that run across thousands of compute nodes in multiple data centers as well as in the cloud
- 10+ years of hands on software development experience
- 5+ years managing development or mixed engineering teams
- Experience growing high performing engineering teams
- Experience building large scale distributed, fault-tolerant systems
- Experience in a Linux/UNIX data center or public cloud environment
- Prior experience in any of the following languages: Java, C++, C, C#, Ruby, Go, Scala, Python
- In-depth understanding of OOP, design patterns, data structures, algorithms, and concurrency
- Experience with Agile Development Methodologies and Test-Driven Development
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with software-based infrastructure in the cloud, such as AWS, GCP, Azure, GCE, CoreOS
- Experience with container orchestration systems Kubernetes, Docker, Helios, Fleet
- Experience with open source projects like Hadoop, HDFS, Puppet, Spinnaker, Kafka, Splunk, HBase, Phoenix, Cassandra, and Machine Learning (ML) platforms
- Experience using SQL and/or NoSQL datastores e.g. Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc
Accommodations - If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesfore.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.