Job Summary:The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technology leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from: animation, theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences. Part of the Walt Disney Television Group, Disney Television Animation (DTVA) is a high-volume digital animation production studio. Because of DTVA’s strong use of commercial and custom software technologies to create its animation products, its use of technology, engineering, development techniques and software are critical to its production operations and workflows. Disney Television Animation Technology (DTVAT) innovates and delivers solutions that support our animation studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations. As part of the Technology team you’ll be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for high-performing, motivated individuals who are generalists and proficient in many technologies and languages. Our team embraces disruptive thinkers who can drive innovation.
We’re looking for an intellectually curious, business-savvy, technical writing powerhouse that also has experience in hosting training sessions to join the Disney Television Animation Technology team as a Technical Writer / Trainer. In this role, you will be responsible for: auditing, designing, laying out, creating, writing, and organizing Technical Documentation. This documentation will become the bedrock for custom end user training sessions that will align our deliverables to our business and production end users’ needs across the various Disney Television Animation productions and departments. You will be: working through existing documentation, meeting with end users, surveying feedback and collecting user behavioral data, researching industry standards, current workflows and software development and design sprints and applying these experiences becoming a leading subject matter expert in the area of Technical Writing and Training for Disney Television Animation.
The Technical Writer / Trainer will create / write and maintain: workflow documentation, user guides, release notes, cheat sheets and quick reference guides and online help systems and/or other end-user deliverables for our Software Engineering, System Administration and Engineering and Support Engineering groups. It is critical that this documentation be accurate, populated with relevant, understandable, up to date and clear content as it provides self-help assistance to our internal customers. The Technical Writer / Trainer must be an exceptional writer and trainer that follows best practices in their passion to develop and communicate effective content.
- Create and maintain strong relationships with Subject Matter Experts (Developers / Product Owners, Engineers, Production Personnel, and Users, etc.), Technology team members -Architecture, QA and Support Teams.
- Work in partnership with Subject Matter Experts, scrum process participants and technology solutions development throughout our product life cycles to thoroughly understand applications, workflows and solution in order to keep content accurate.
- Identify, write and maintain documentation for our portfolio of applications in the form of: workflow documentation, user guides, release notes, cheat sheets and quick reference guides and online help systems.
- Create graphical diagram, flow charts, illustrations and images as needed for inclusion in documentation.
- Work with Developers, QA and Support Engineers to validate documentation, reviewing and testing software as needed for accuracy and consistency; comparative to documentation needs -identifying problems and suggesting revisions.
- Maintain accuracy and consistency of body of documentation across all workflows and solutions.
- Maintain documentation index and solution release schedules to and align documentation updates to release deadlines.
- Create functional requirements documents and user stories on an as needed basis.
- Create end user documentation handouts as needed.
- In line with documentation, create Training programs and presentation material for training.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, coupled with the ability to generate complete and concise high-quality documentation and materials.
- A creative contributor and problem solver who is a proven self-starter that can work independently with minimal supervision.
- Possess strong organizational skills with a detailed and curious mindset.
- Ability to gather and document business requirements, follow standard practices for Requirements Gathering Processes, and committed to ensuring that documentation and training materials delivered are of high quality and meet design and all customer requirements.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks for on-schedule delivery.
- Knowledge and understanding of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and Agile Development/Testing practices and methodologies.
- Excellent Interpersonal skills for analysis, collaboration and teamwork.
- Advanced knowledge of:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio), Adobe software tools.
- Web based coding and working experience with WordPress and Confluence.
- Quick learner with a strong desire to learn the unique aspects of the Disney Television Animation business.
- Proven ability to perform in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Fluent in verbal and written English
- Candidates will be required to submit samples of their work products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Communications, Journalism or similar field; or equivalent job-related experience/knowledge.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.