Royal British Legion Apologizes For Past LGBTQ+ Discrimination

Royal British Legion Apologizes For Past LGBTQ+ Discrimination

April 20, 2022

The Royal British Legion has apologized for its historical refusal to acknowledge the sacrifices of LGBTQ+ British military personnel.


For decades, campaigners have accused the organisation of homophobia, claiming it sought to erase LGBTQ+ people’s contributions to British war efforts and to actively oppose queer remembrance efforts. Now, in a letter seen exclusively by the Guardian, the organisation has tried to make amends.

According to the Guardian’, the note came in response to correspondence from the human rights activist Peter Tatchell, who reminded the Royal British Legion (RBL) late last year that he had written to it back in 2007 to complain about the same stance. But, he said, it had declined even to answer.

“I am deeply saddened by your previous experience with the charity, and I can only apologize on RBL’s behalf for not responding and the discrimination shown at the time,” the charity’s director general, Charles Byrne, wrote to Tatchell last week.

In the 2007 letter, the human rights activist said the RBL had accused his organization, OutRage!, of “making political capital” out of Remembrance Sunday after its members laid a pink triangle wreath at the Cenotaph.

“Our observance of queer remembrance day was, you say, in ‘bad taste.’ Who does the British Legion think it is? It is sheer arrogance for you to criticize and demean our act of remembrance. The gay community has as much right to honor its members who fought for freedom as the Black and Jewish communities, both of which pay respect to their war dead without being vilified by the British Legion.”

He said the RBL lacked the “decency to acknowledge the contribution of queer soldiers, sailors, and aircrews to the allied victory over Hitlerism,” adding that the organization refused to “officially admit that any homosexuals fought in the last war, let alone that some of them acquitted themselves with distinction.”

Finally addressing the concerns 15 years later, Byrne – who became the director general in 2016 – said the RBL had “very much changed.” He added: “The behavior you outline of the RBL of the past is not tolerated in today’s organization.”

A ban on gay people serving in the armed forces was lifted in 2000. Yet OutRage! claimed that an unwillingness to acknowledge the gay and lesbian people who served nevertheless persisted.

In 1999, Tatchell and his colleagues followed the main remembrance ceremony with a special service honoring LGBTQ+ personnel. In 2007 – the same year his letter to the RBL went unanswered – the Ministry of Defence apologized to all gay service personnel who faced persecution and discrimination before 2000.

Responding to Byrne’s letter, Tatchell said: “Our praise and thanks to the Legion for eschewing its homophobic past with this forthright and fulsome apology. We are delighted by its commitment to support LGBT+ veterans and work with the LGBT+ community.

“This draws a line under the pain of the RBL’s previous prejudice and discrimination. LGBT+ people can now confidently collaborate with the RBL, knowing that they are on our side.”



Read related myGwork articles here:

UK Government Launches Review into Treatment of LGBTQ+ Veterans

LGBTQ+ Veterans Will Have Stripped Medals Returned In Time For Remembrance Sunday

LGBTQ+ Veterans March At The Cenotaph Remembrance Sunday Service For The First Time

US Veterans Can Now Identify As Trans, Nonbinary On Their VA Medical Records



Keep up to date with the latest myGnews

Sign up to myGwork

________

LGBTQ+ professionals, LGBTQ+ Graduates, LGBTQ+ professional network, LGBTQ+ professional events, LGBTQ+ networking events, LGBTQ+ Recruitment, LGBTQ+ Friendly organizations, LGBTQ+ Friendly companies, LGBTQ+ jobs

You may also be interested in...

View All News