FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY TO ENHANCE YOUR CAREER WITHIN MERCER’S WEALTH TEAM
Mercer is looking for talented and ambitious pension and investment actuarial consultants who are keen to develop their career with a client consulting focus predominantly supporting corporate clients. This is an opportunity to join a great multi-disciplined team providing clients with leading edge advice across funding, investment, risk transfer and covenant. We are looking for individuals with excellent communication skills, business acumen and a client focus, alongside the core technical skills.
You will be working as part of a team to develop and deliver customised advice and solutions to clients with a primary focus on DB pension schemes. The world of retirement saving is changing and Mercer is developing innovative solutions for our clients and their employees, whether it is around interactive and personalised communications, or delivering robo advice.
This is an opportunity to work on a wide range of clients; we tailor the client mix to support and develop an individual’s skills now and into the future.
The consulting teams primary focus is on solving our clients’ needs and adding value to clients business. We are looking for individuals who can bring that focus alongside an ability to work directly with senior stakeholders and clients at an early stage.
This role would be suitable for someone who already has experience working with corporates (and trustees) on DB pensions within an actuarial consultancy role from either a funding or investment background; they may be making good progress through the actuarial exams or have already qualified. Mercer provides full-study support for students undertaking the actuarial exams.
Why is Mercer different?
Besides working for one of the world’s largest consultancy firms; you will be given opportunities to excel and grow in a high performing team of actuaries and consultants. The team is structured so that analysts are given opportunities to deliver advice directly to a range of clients from an early stage. You will be supported through real situations to expand both your actuarial and consulting skills, and to choose your own career path.
As our actuaries and investment consultants work together as part of one Wealth team, we can provide you with an abundance of career enhancing opportunities. Where individuals wish, they are able to work on both actuarial and investment clients. Analysts also have opportunities to work on member options and risk transfer projects.
Beyond this, Mercer provides the potential for opportunities in other lines of business, or via our Global & International rotation program.
What is the role?
- Working with senior consultants to help corporate clients: 1) solve complex problems and 2) create solutions that lead to demonstrable positive change.
- Leading on the preparation and delivery of both day-to-day, and strategic corporate advice, with a focus on finding tailored solutions (on both sides of the balance sheet) that meet complex corporate clients’ needs; with senior support as required.
- Providing an informed view on current corporate topics based on client circumstances, and tailoring advice as appropriate.
- Strong technical actuarial, investment and/or risk management skills used to consult with clients, and the ability to communicate with clients in a clear and succinct manner.
- Checking and reviewing work, including reasonableness and ‘sense checking’ of colleagues’ (and your own) work.
- Supporting the development of more junior colleagues, with opportunity for people management responsibilities.
- Taking part in setting and negotiating fees, where appropriate, with senior colleagues.
- Involvement in new business prospect activity, responding to RFP’s and pitching to potential new clients.
- Assisting in the creation, development and dissemination of thought-provoking intellectual capital.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Education to degree level and completed/material progress with actuarial, CFA or other professional financial qualifications.
- Awareness of current pension issues and how these impact clients, including key considerations and ability to talk about these and tailor your response to specific circumstances.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, strong analytical, numerical and critical thinking skills, including a good understanding of actuarial approaches for pensions, corporate finance and accounting for pensions.
- A strong understanding of how UK DB pension schemes operate and the roles of various stakeholders (sponsor, Trustee, advisers, regulator, etc).
- Understanding of IAS19 and the way in which DB plans and pension related transactions are treated in a company’s financial statements.
- Understanding of corporate finance, including financial statements, key metrics and performance indicators as well as how these are impacted by DB pension plans.
- Understanding what is meant by “employer covenant”, the factors that affect covenant strength and potential actions available to support/improve covenant assessment.
- Knowledge of the UK DB risk management toolkit, including buy-ins/buy-outs, longevity hedging and member options.
- Awareness of alternative financing solutions, including contingent assets, SPV’s, surety bonds etc.
- Excellent planning and organisational abilities, in order to prioritise and complete work.
- Ability to build relationships with colleagues and clients.
- A willingness to learn new skills, challenge established thinking and be adaptable in a changing environment.
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We’re in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees — whether we’re designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people’s current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we’ve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visitwww.mercer.comfor more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer.
At Mercer we are open to flexible and part time working arrangements for new hires. The aim of our flexible working policy is to enable employees to balance work and home life more effectively, whilst meeting the needs of our business. This is another step towards us being an employer of choice. We encourage you to discuss your requirements with us when you apply for a role.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliatesare EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.