Mercer is seeking candidates for the following position based in our London Tower Place office
Legal Counsel, Investments
What can you expect?
- This role is a balance of supporting the growth and development of the Investment business within Mercer, whilst protecting the business through that growth.
- A challenging opportunity to work in a highly supportive team within a strategically important part of the business. Although the main focus is UK you will also support on non UK legal matters, eg expansion into new markets. You will be encouraged to take the lead on global initiatives and be involved in innovative solutions such as Digital Analytics, Research and Tools. This is an opportunity where you can develop your skills within this multifaceted role.
- In your first year, you will be expected to gain a thorough understanding of the business and its strategy, internal policies and procedures, working with colleagues to take on increasing levels of responsibility, whilst being fully supported.
- Part of the small Global Legal team for Investments, you will report into the Assistant General Counsel. Your colleagues are highly experienced , collaborative and have long term tenure within our company.
- You will be provided with a Legal Professional Development fund for your own ongoing development, as well as being fully supported by your manager and team. You will also have the opportunity to attend offsite development events plus the opportunity for international secondments in the long term.
What is in it for you?
- You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, along with an excellent benefits package to include a 25 days holiday +/- 5 days , 12% car allowance, Bonus, Private Healthcare, Life Assurance plus a wide range of other benefits.
We will count on you to:
- Provide practical, business-oriented advice on Mercer’s new product and service offerings (including technology-focused solutions), regulation impacting Mercer’s products, applicable governance requirements, and on emerging issues including dispute resolution
- Advise on corporate governance and legal risk
- Support, promote and implement initiatives as part of the Legal team including integration of new businesses arising from mergers & acquisitions activities
- Work closely with, and manage costs of, external legal counsel appropriately
You will need to have:
- A qualified lawyer (ideally qualified in England and Wales but other jurisdictions would be considered) with demonstrable interest in and knowledge and experience of Investments with strong local market experience and knowledge
- Approximately four years of applicable post-qualification experience in a professional services, financial services or law firm
- Excellent written/legal document drafting and verbal skills with the ability to negotiate commercial contracts.
- Excellent attention to detail and organisational/prioritising skills
What makes you stand out?
- Demonstrable knowledge of the sales, advisory and marketing laws and regulations in markets with particular emphasis on the regulations of the UK and European Union
- An understanding/exposure to M&A activity or sale of a business.
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We’re in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees — whether we’re designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people’s current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we’ve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies & its affiliates aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender expression or identity, marital and civil partnership status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation or beliefs
Mercer recognizes the need to balance work and personal commitment. At Mercer we believe all roles can flex. Please speak to us about all available working options