As a Database Architect you will play a key role in supporting Towers Watson’s client facing
products. These products include high concurrency highly transactional systems as well as big
data systems with complex reporting and business intelligence requirements. The Database
Architect will evaluate and improve existing database structures and play a crucial role in
creating evolutionary database models for current and future Towers Watson products.
The Database Architect will be required to analyze an array of product offerings and business requirements within the organization. You will work with the product development teams (e.g. engineering, product managers and analysts) to evaluate and identify solutions that meet the needs of the business, utilizing industry standard best practices and creative design techniques to overcome complex business and technical challenges (e.g. maximum performance with complex data sets). Some additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Senior Database Architect to define database architectures and communicate those designs to business and engineering partners
- Analyze existing data design and suggest improvements that promote performance, stability and interoperability.
- Work with product management and business subject matter experts to translate business requirements into good database design.
- Provide database architecture leadership and mentor projects consisting of TW employees and outside contractors
- Maintain the governance model on the database architecture through training, design reviews, code reviews, and progress reviews.
- Participate in the development of Database Architecture and Roadmaps in support of business strategies
- Establish and maintain database architecture standards and best practices
- Participle in the evaluation of emerging technology and tools
- Bachelor's degree and 3+ years of related experience.
- Strong experience in databases, tools and methodologies
- Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle
- Azure Technologies such as Azure SQL, Azure Data Factory, Azure Storage, Azure Data Lake, Azure Synapse, Databricks
- Data Analysis, Database Design, Data Modeling, Data Ingestion/Integration, Data Warehousing, Big Data, In Memory, No SQL
- Experience with database performance evaluation and remediation
- Develops strategies for data acquisitions, archive recovery and implementation
- Be able to design and develop Databases, Data Warehouses and Multidimensional Databases
- SQL development experience (TSQL, Views, Stored Procedures, Indexes….)
- Experience with browser based web applications delivered over the Internet that support high user concurrency
- Experience working with large relational databases
- Ability to develop database strategies for flexible high performance reporting and business intelligence
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, including the ability to research, design, and write new documentation, as well as to maintain and improve existing material
- Some functional knowledge in one or more of the following areas is a PLUS: Talent Management Systems, HR Self-Service, HR Shared Services, HRIS/Payroll, Health & Welfare Administration or Pension Administration, HR Survey systems
- Some travel required (10-15%)
Equal Opportunity Employer