Summary of Role
The role will be part of the global DevOps team. The role will be responsible for delivering
solution or infrastructure development services, such as coding, programming and creating program
specifications, in a defined project to ensure successful deployment to the user community. The
role will also be responsible for automating build and software configuration management related
tasks and will be key in establishing continuous integration and delivery platform across
The DevOps Engineer will work closely with Software Development, Strategy and Architecture and IT Operations groups to ensure that the final releases are up to organizational standards and are released successfully without negative impact to our Clients.
- Produces high-quality solution or infrastructure deliverables, in accordance with project timelines and specifications, using sound coding and programming skills.
- Helps drive the on-going maintenance of development and related pre-production environments, using sound technical skills.
- Helps drive the design of release packages and/or resilience logging.
- Monitors the effectiveness of installations, peer reviews, reports and provides recommendations for changes.
- Automate scripts to deploy software in an automated process.
- Helps establish design, best practices, tools, and configuration management principles in conjunction with the Software Engineering strategies
- Collaborates with other specialists and/or technical experts to ensure Software Engineering is delivering to the highest possible standards and that solutions support stakeholder needs and business requirements.
- Creation of configuration items for non-production environments to support Software Development Life Cycle for internal customers
- Helps drive and establish source code control management best practices
- Develop and maintain our internal release management process
- Creation and maintenance of an automated build/release scripts and plans
- Communicate effectively with members of software engineering and other project related groups to ensure processes and project objectives are met
- Helps build the team’s technical expertise/capabilities/skills through the delivery of regular feedback, knowledge sharing, and coaching.
- High learning adaptability, demonstrating understanding of the implications of technical issues on business requirements and / or operations.
- Requires after-hours release support, so a flexible time schedule is required
Knowledge and Experience:
- Suitable experience as a DevOps/SCM engineer, or in a position with similar skill sets and responsibilities
- A Bachelor's/College Degree and experience in a technology related discipline, such as IT or Engineering would be beneficial but evidenced experience in this area is required
- Experience building and managing Docker containers using industry standard technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker Enterprise, Rancher
- Experience using Jenkins & Git
- Experience using a scripting language such as Python, Shell Script or Perl.
- Experience in administering application servers and web servers (Nginx, Apache HTTP Server, Apache Tomcat)
- Proficiency with Linux. Red Hat Enterprise Edition preferred.
- Strong relational database experience. Preferably Oracle with a working knowledge of PL/SQL.
- Strong knowledge with network protocols - TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL, etc.
- Strong knowledge of n-tier web applications.
- Strong knowledge of Configuration Management technologies, preference Ansible, alternatively experience with Chef, Puppet, or Salt desirable.
- Capability to support a software development teams’ timelines and targets.
- Experience working with Agile Scrum teams, including those distributed geographically
- Familiarity with change management systems and processes
- Strong knowledge on principles of continuous integration and the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
- Strong knowledge on Continuous Delivery Concepts.
- Analytical, creative, adaptable, resourceful, innovative and imaginative and fun
- Strong problem-solving skills required, and ability to follow through to completion
- Customer focused and commitment to best-in-class processes and procedures.
- Out of hours support may be required from time to time and colleagues will be consulted where required
Equal opportunity employer