The Technical Manager is first and foremost a coach and guide for the software and QA engineers organized in scrum teams across multiple product lines. S/He is responsible for developing a team who works on highly available, scalable, high-performing, enterprise-class, global software products.
This role requires an individual with a successful history of context switching between delivery focus, team management, and overall leadership (technical, people, change, and process). The Technical manager spearheads QA and engineering best practices and evolving standards to foster excellence and consistency. S/He provides technical mentorship at the program level to influence strategic technology initiatives while partnering with product leaders, program managers, and software architects.
S/He must have a strong history and passion for code quality through unit testing coverage, continuous integration, code/design reviews, static and dynamic code analysis, technical debt prevention, and information security vulnerability studies/remediation and must be passionate about driving change and innovation.
This role requires strong conceptional thinking to break down complex situations and identify patterns. S/He must derive short-term and long-term strategic solutions around team function, training opportunities, technical improvements, process improvements, and engineering and QA best practices.
Communication transparency is vital to escalate and provide visibility to the stakeholders and leaders whenever gaps and risks exist, and the Technical Manager must have the courage to hold people accountable and to a high standard.
Employment-based non-immigration visa sponsorship and/or assistance is not offered for this specific job opportunity.
• Understand and be fully aligned with the goals set by the organization and leaders.
• Own the technical roadmap and strategic goals and proactively manage or clear blocks/hurdles for the team.
• Represent and communicate on behalf of Engineering, QA, DevOps, SRE, and Architecture at the program team level.
• Provide technical mentorship at the program level to influence strategic technology initiatives while partnering with product leaders, program managers, and software architects.
• Focus on continuous improvement activities, including collecting key data points in order to perceive patterns and drive changes to accomplish strategic goals.
• Proactively plan by visualizing the team's upcoming needs and hurdles to help clear a path for successfully implementing strategic initiatives. E.g., Identify and have discussions about upcoming dependencies on other teams, budgets, efforts, impacts to the business before implementation begins. Create opportunities for your team and or employees to succeed.
• Evaluate individual and team performance to identify skill gaps, develop capabilities, and grow career opportunities. Assess staffing needs, including interviewing/hiring, supervisory responsibilities as needed.
• Escalate and or provide visibility to the stakeholders and leaders where gaps and risks exist.
• Partner with the Global Leader of Software Engineering & DevOps Leader and Global Leader of Quality Assurance in defining future Engineering and QA functional strategies.
• Lead by example and focus on mentoring new leaders in the group.
• Seek feedback from the team to understand where problem areas exist and manage through issues or escalate as needed. Provide advice to other managers and leadership for ongoing issues. Embody the vision of 'ONE TEAM' for all global resources – build the culture around this theme.
• Spearhead the successful adoption and execution of best practices, including, but not limited to, unit testing, design/code reviews, static and dynamic code analysis, technical debt prevention, cloud adoption, etc.
• Evaluate emerging technology to leverage across our teams.
• Embrace and contribute to our Agile/Lean philosophy.
• Bachelor's degree strongly preferred; high school diploma required
• 9+ years of related software development experience; 5+ years of technical leadership and team management experience
• Experience working with the full Microsoft technology stack, including .NET 4.5, C# , SQL Server, ASP.NET 4.5 (MVC 5), and Web API
• Azure Cloud Development Experience
• Experience with UI development technologies such as HTML5, CSS, AngularJS and Bootstrap
• Experience and passion for Unit/Integration/Regression testing frameworks, such as xUnit, nUnit, Moq, Selenium, etc.
• Experience using source control, build and deploy management tools such as Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS), GIT, TeamCity, and Octopus
• Experience working with collaboration and issue tracking tools such as Confluence, JIRA and Slack
• Experience managing Software as a Service (SaaS), multi-tenancy application teams
• Experience in covering all areas of the testing lifecycle and understanding of quality principles
• Experience in understanding and delivering results in the Load and Performance space (response times, volume, stress, scalability, endurance, etc.)
• Experience in Security Coding and Security Testing standards
• Understanding of application metrics to drive strategies, quality and operations
• Understanding of Accessibility concepts
• Experience working within an Agile Scrum software development life cycle, including varying levels of Agile maturity
• Verifiable experience in building, maintaining and mentoring a world class team of software engineers
• Experience in ensuring teams uphold the highest standards for delivering high-quality code
• Excellent organizational skills, multitasking ability, and proven analytical, systematic thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills
• Proactively collaborates with other teams/team members (UX, Enterprise Architecture, Quality Assurance, Product Owners, PMO, Information Security DevOps) across global time zones with the utmost professionalism, tact, and resolve
• Excellent verbal and writing skills, including the ability to effectively communicate to non-technical team members, leaders and proactively provide status on team successes, challenges and continuous improvement initiatives
• Travel approximately 10% of the time (including international travel)